Then…later…now Part 1

So I have resumed blogging after nearly two years. I am not quite sure where to start so I decided maybe I should kind of pick up where I left off but headed in a different direction, a new path as it were.

The last time I was blogging I was talking about learning to live without Segundo (my husband who passed away suddenly in the summer of 2009). I was living in Ugashik with my daughters Cecelia (who will be 4 next month) and Glenna who was born a few months after Segundo passed. It was posted on a former blog that I used to write for that I had left that blog  to pursue other interests – a new life, a new love, a new home. Well I won’t bother correcting that statement albeit false. Let’s just say that I had planned on taking a break but instead was not only locked out of the blog but also our home.

Suffice it to say that I have heard that I am not the first person that this has happened to. (IMO!) But the girls and I moved to Naknek after being told not to return to Ugashik when we were out of the village for a couple of doctors appointments in Dillingham.

Due to the strange circumstances that lead to my departure from not only that former blog but also the technically illegal eviction from our home in Ugashik we moved in with a friend in Naknek. Even under the best of circumstances that kind of move would have been difficult let alone the circumstances which led us to this premature move. Now don’t get me wrong we had planned on moving to Naknek a little over a month later and had already given notice that we would be moving out and would not be available to work that summer.

Not only was I finding it difficult if not impossible to spend the summer working there and living in the house where Segundo had died but also I was in a new relationship. I felt trapped in the tiny village of Ugashik and was being ostracized not only there but also on the former blog. There was a lot of “talk” going on behind the scenes that in my opinion was fueled by lack of understanding and probably some jealousy by other persons.

So there we were in Dillingham for Cecelia’s first developmental evaluation and appointment with the pediatrician along with other tests to try to figure out what was giong on with her. We left Dillingham and had planned to spend a few days in Naknek with my new “friend”. As we were on the plane from Dillingham to King Salmon Glenna (who at the time was merely 5 months old) came down with what we call the “village crud” and proceeded to vomit all over herself, me and the plane. Since she was so small I immediately contacted the clinic in Naknek and by the time we got there not only was Glenna sick but also Cecelia started coming down with it also. The clinic was closely monitoring Glenna and told us that we needed to stay there in Naknek until she stopped vomiting.

In the midst of this, what was supposed to be like a vacation LOL, I received an email saying:

Since your leaving to go to Dillingham some of your recent actions have come to the attention of XXXXXX and me.

Due to those actions, and possible litigation, XXXXXX and I feel we must immediately distance ourselves from you. This is the advice we have gotten from legal council.

Since you recently let us know that you have housing in Naknek/King Salmon we request that you do not return to Ugashik and the house we have provided this past winter for you and the girls.

We feel that ANY return to Ugashik will be seen as our support of those actions and we feel they are indefensible.

Any mail that has been delivered will be forwarded to the POB you provided.

IF you will email me a list of critical first things to get packed I will do my best to get that done by Sunday. I can leave them in the mail hut for XXX to pick up at his convenience.

Any other remaining items I can pack and get them ready for you to either have PenAir pick up or XXX, at your expense.

Please do not count on XXXXXX bringing anything via the boat as we do not have a spring trip planned at this point.

It is a shame that it has come to this but your actions have made this precaution necessary.

REALLY??? I never did figure out what these alleged “actions” were nor was there ever any “litigation” and I highly doubt that “legal counsel” was ever involved as they were (in my opinion) pretty financially strapped at the time since I had been buying groceries and paid for someones airfare to Anchorage for the former blog get together a couple months earlier.

So I contacted the AK State Troopers who informed me that this eviction (?) was illegal and that I had every right to return back to our home in Ugashik. But honestly there was a total population of SEVEN people there and we obviously weren’t welcome for what ever imaginary jealousy induced reason so we stayed in Naknek. Alas all of our belongings were supposedly thrown in garbage bags and dumped at the Ugashik airport hut, unmarked for whomever to pick up. I can’t prove that they were in fact taken there or not but all I know is that I lost about $10,000 worth of our stuff some of which was simply NOT replaceable ie: things of Segundo’s that I was going to give to the girls when they got older were simply gone! Forever!

So that is part one of this post.  Since Glenna just got up from her nap I will post this portion and continue on with part 2, 3, etc. later!


About annstrongheart

About me...hmmm where to start. I'm a proud single/widowed mom of two beautiful girls who currently works full time for the local Tribe. Life. Is. AWESOME!
This entry was posted in Domestic Violence, DV Shelter, family, LeeShore Center, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Then…later…now Part 1

  1. FEDUP!!! says:

    Oh, my goodness, Ann! I didn’t know that you were treated like this! Is there any way you can try to recoup at least *part* of the $10,000? I understand that those personal items from Segundo are irreplaceable, but maybe a good lawyer might be able to help you pro bono with the rest, and with restitution?

  2. annstrongheart says:

    Yeah FEDUP!!! I decided it was time to tell my side of what had really happened out there. I have looked into getting back some of what we lost but unfortunately it’s my word against theirs. I can’t prove anything. Did everything really get packed up or was it held vengefully? or was it stolen at the airport? No way for me to know, the ones who know sure the heck aren’t going to tell the truth in my opinion. It’s just stuff. I have my girls, a roof over our heads, food on the table and a better life now and that is all that truly matters. Karma will take care of the rest.

  3. Zyxomma says:

    Ann (and CC and GG), I’m sending you love and blessings from the other side of the continent, from my little but mighty island. The East Village is very different from villages in Alaska, but we’re all human, and you have my sympathy, empathy, compassion, and respect. Onward, Stronghearts!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s